Re: debian runlevels

Chris Grierson <cduck> writes:
CG> i am curious as to what the 'norm' is for *debian* regarding
CG> runlevels.

Runlevels 2-5 are all the same (except, possibly, for the number of
getty's started).  From what I can tell, runlevels 0 (halt), 1
(single-user), and 6 (reboot) stop mostly the same services.

CG> that is, is it not a safe method of shutting down
CG> services to switch to runlevel 1, then back to a 'normal'
CG> runlevel (2-5)?

I'm not sure as to what you're trying to do.  Assuming you haven't
started/stopped anything manually and haven't changed the default
configuration, this will restart pretty much everything.  But that
seems like an awfully big hammer to wave around to kick one service
that's behaving poorly; better to do

  /etc/init.d/<service> restart

to stop and start the one thing you care about.

	-- Abra Mitchell