Re: debian runlevels

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:22:30AM -0700, 'cduck' Chris Grierson wrote:
> i am curious as to what the 'norm' is for *debian* regarding
> runlevels.  that is, is it not a safe method of shutting down
> services to switch to runlevel 1, then back to a 'normal'
> runlevel (2-5)?  basically, a coworker uses redhat, and he does
> this often to clean up his machine, and i have done it in the
> past with my debian system at home with no problems.

I'd expect that to be perfectly safe and correct.

> with the systems we have here at work, telinit'ing to 1 then 5
> hangs the system at the nfs-kernel-server rc script (nfsd),
> presumably because the portmapper is stopped, and not restarted
> (it is one of the several real daemons started out of rcS, as
> different- iated from other 'services' that are *set up* out of
> rcS).

That sounds like a bug in nfs-kernel-server (perhaps in its ordering - I
haven't investigated, but its maintainer should know). Could you report
it, if it hasn't been already?

The init script will be a conffile, so you can change it if you like and
have your changes preserved by dpkg. This may help if the bug isn't
fixed straight away.

Cheers,