Re: unstable package install into testing

joe golden <jg1024@hotmail.com> writes:
joe> I have downloaded the unstable version of abiword into my home
joe> directory.  I would like to install this on my testing system.  I
joe> believe all dependencies for the unstable version (0.9.0-0.1) are met.
joe>
joe> How do I do the install?  Do i need to put unstable in the
joe> sources.list?  This is the only package I need from unstable.
joe>
joe> As root I copied the .deb into /var/cache/apt/archives and then tried
joe> apt-get install abiword=0.9.0-0.1.
joe> This gave me "E: Version '0.9.0-0.1' for 'abiword' was not
joe> found."

You should completely ignore APT here, and just use dpkg directly to
install the package file if you already have it.  The .deb file
doesn't need to be anywhere in particular.

	-- Abra Mitchell