Re: debian runlevels

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:22:30AM -0700, 'cduck' Chris Grierson wrote:
> > with the systems we have here at work, telinit'ing to 1 then 5
> > hangs the system at the nfs-kernel-server rc script (nfsd),
> > presumably because the portmapper is stopped, and not restarted
>
> That should work.  It doesn't, though, according to bugs #60367,
> #101726, and #102709.  This is a bug in the portmap package.
>
> > thus stated, what is the recommended way to 'cleanse' the system,
> > without restarting (although at runlevel 1, you might as well,
> > but i am not considering that an option for various reasons).
>
> What is happening to your system that you feel the need to 'cleanse'
> it?  My reccommendation would be to fix whatever it causing that
> situation so you don't need to do this.
>
> --
> With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
> safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox
> "To prevent unauthorized reading..."         - Adobe eBook reader license
>

> --

i usually don't 'cleanse the system' as i mentioned, but i know at
least one of my fellow coworkers does (redhat trained).  i would
generally /etc/init.d/<service> <action> an individual service,
but switching to runlevel 1 and back should not hose the system.  in
any case, it is a bug, i'm not crazy, and at least i have that ;)

[ Structural Informatics Group  ]
[ Dept. of Biological Structure ]
[ University of Washington      ]

[ 206.616.7356:office ]