Re: Exim delivery to a maildir-FIXED

On Sun, 2001-09-16 at 04:10, Ramin Motakef wrote:
> Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com> writes:

Scratch that.  I seem to have some problems with imap now.  Evolution
0.13 always says:

Error while 'Opening store imap://hmike@localhost/;check_all':Server
unexpectedly disconnected

I've got exim delivering mail fetchmail "spoofed" mail into the maildir
properly thanks to Ramin's sage advice which can be accessed by
evolution locally.  I'm wrestling with courier-imap now.  My syslog only
says:

Sep 16 13:53:03 sandworm imaplogin: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Sep 16 13:53:03 sandworm imaplogin: LOGIN, user=hmike,
ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]

I've got my userdb pointing like this in courier:

hmike	home=/home/hmike/|mail=/var/spool/maildirs/hmike/|uid=1000|gid=1000
1000=	hmike

/var/spool/maildirs/hmike was created with the command maildirmake
./hmike from /var/spool/maildirs as hmike

I also ran makeuserdb to make the proper files and reloaded all courier
parts.  I've even reloaded evolution to make sure no stale connections
are causing problems.  Where can I go now to get this working?

> > > You could append a different domain to Mail delivert by fetchmail eg.
> > > poll ... is someone@from.somwhere.else.com here
> > > and add from.somewhere.else.com to exims local_domains.
> >
> > Ok, so what I'm doing is telling fetchmail to say that instead of
> > username@localhost it will be username@xxx and then configure exim to
> > take mail for username@xxx and then deliver that specially right?  I
> > just want to make sure I understand what I'll be configuring and why.
>
> Yes.
>

> > > To use maildir delivery use something like
> > >
> > > maildir_delivery
> > >   driver = appendfile
> > >   create_directory = true
> > >   directory_mode = 700
> > >   directory = /var/spool/maildirs/${local_part}/
> > >   headers_remove = "Bcc"
> > >   user = <someuser>
> > >   group = <somegroup>
> > >   maildir_format
> > >   mode = 660
> > Now what exactly is going on here?  this as far as I can tell delivers
> > normal mail to users except those that we specify in the user and group
> > section?  Then those go maildir?  I'm a bit confused here.
> >

> The user and group entries are necessary only if the $local_part is
> not a real system user. As you found out yourself later, the
> transports don't make any decisions, they are called by directors and
> then deliver the mail the configured way. You will need to keep the
> transport for your system mail also.
>

> > > in the transports section and
> > >
> > > maildir_user
> > >    transport = maildir_delivery
> > >    domains = from.somewhere.else.com

Just one more line for future reference:
This section needed:

driver = localuser

to work properly.

> > > in the directors section.
> > So this is going to be hit first by exim which then calls the maildir
> > _delivery to anything coming from fetchmail.  I think I understand this
> > part at least ;>
> >
> > Thanks for the help.  Hopefully I can leap from this to a better
> > understanding of the exim-fetchmail-imap systems.

I'm halfway there ;>

--mike