Re: Exim delivery to a maildir (or just use procmail?) questions

Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com> writes:

> Ok, I've got courier-imapd installed and configured.
>
> How do I get exim to deliver all localy generated mail to stay in the
> standard mail spool for the system but all other mail which is coming in
> through fetchmail to go into a maildir so I can imap serve this to other
> hosts I'm at during the day?

You could append a different domain to Mail delivert by fetchmail eg.
poll ... is someone@from.somwhere.else.com here
and add from.somewhere.else.com to exims local_domains.

> I've checked the docs in /usr/share/doc and the exim website and I see
> references to maildir and I see something about maildir in the exim.conf
> file commented out.  Should I just uncomment that and then it magically
> works?  I'm not sure if thats all I need to fix to make it start
> working.
>
> I also assume I need to make a maildir for myself, but then how do I get
> exim to find it?  Do I need to make all other users a maildir now?  I'm
> having trouble finding a good howto or even a non-cryptic faq.
>
> Or is what I really should be doing is looking into procmail to move
> things not local from my mbox into the maildir?
>
> I'd appreciate any tips tricks, links or dire warnings.
>
> --mike

To use maildir delivery use something like

maildir_delivery
  driver = appendfile
  create_directory = true
  directory_mode = 700
  directory = /var/spool/maildirs/${local_part}/
  headers_remove = "Bcc"
  user = <someuser>
  group = <somegroup>
  maildir_format