Re: upgrade to kernel-2.4.9

Don,

you should compile the USB keyboard support statically in the 2.4.9
kernel and not as a module (answer 'Y' and not 'M' when using 'make
menuconfig').

Because compiling the 2.4.9 kernel has been a pain in the neck to me
(with that damned initrd stuff) I'll sketch here the basic steps you
should follow:

1) Under /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.9
**make menuconfig ** and do your settings;

2) **make-kpkg clean;

3) **make-kpkg --revision=my.01 kernel_image;

4) Under /usr/src
**dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.9-my.01_i386.deb
answering NO to the question about running lilo.

5) Now you should have a new kernel image in /boot and its modules in
/lib/modules/2.4.9/
Issue the command 'mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-my.01 /lib/modules/2.4.9'
In /boot you'll now find initrd-my.01

6) Modify your lilo.conf adding the new kernel image (/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9) and
   the line 'initrd=/boot/initrd-my.01' and run lilo.

That's all.

Ciao
Vittorio