Re: upgrade to kernel-2.4.9

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 08:58:17AM -0700, D. Hoyem wrote:
| Hi all
|   I have a PII 350 and recently upgraded to Woody.
| Today I did a apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.9-586
| kernel-headers-2.4.9-586 and no problems with the
| install.  I added initrd=/boot/initrd to lilo.conf and
| then typed lilo, I also added "do_initrd = Yes" to
| /etc/kernel-img.conf.  I did a shutdown -r now as root
| and booted into the new kernel.  In the dmesg that
| came up I noticed "AT keyboard not found" something to
| that effect, (I have a USB keyboard) and I was

Here's the problem.  The prepackaged kernel has the USB stuff built as
modules.  You have a few options :
    o  make your own kernel and include the USB keyboard statically
       (recommended)

    o  adjust the initrd so that the USB modules are loaded during
       boot (this is the advantage of having an initrd, unfortunately
       I don't know how to do this)

    o  while booted with your old kernel add
        usb
        keybdev
       to /etc/modules so that the modules are loaded at boot time
       (later than the initrd method though) and your keyboard will
       work

HTH,
-D