Re: apt-get problem workaround... is this a bug?

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 05:18:12PM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> %% Jorge Santos <jsf@dep3.fciencias.unam.mx> writes:
>
>   js> I think that, if it is a bug, it should be submited against apt,
>   js> since dpkg didn't seem to get to execute.
>
> Looking through the APT bug reports, I think this bug has been fixed in
> apt 0.5.4, uploaded to unstable around Aug 20.
>
> Unfortunately, it still hasn't migrated into testing, and when I tried
> to grab it from unstable it wanted to pull too many other unstable
> packages for me to be comfortable with.

What often works for me in a situation like that is to use:

apt-get build-dep apt
apt-get -b source apt

and install the resulting package with dpkg -i.  This will probably
install some -dev packages you might not otherwise need, however, but
you can often avoid massive upgrading.