Re: apt-get problem workaround... is this a bug?

%% Jorge Santos <jsf@dep3.fciencias.unam.mx> writes:

  >> Looking through the APT bug reports, I think this bug has been fixed in
  >> apt 0.5.4, uploaded to unstable around Aug 20.
  >>
  >> Unfortunately, it still hasn't migrated into testing, and when I tried
  >> to grab it from unstable it wanted to pull too many other unstable
  >> packages for me to be comfortable with.

  js> http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_excuses.html

I'm stumped.

According to the excuses, there's no reason for APT to not be moved to
"testing", as long as it doesn't depend on broken packages.

Well, apt-search shows that the unstable version of APT (0.5.4) has
these depends:

  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2

Now, on my "testing" system right now I already have
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 installed, so that's no problem.

And, I have libc6 2.2.4-1, which is definitely >= 2.2.3-7.

So, I have no idea whatsoever why APT 0.5.4 hasn't migrated into testing
yet...

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools