Re: mail server

also sprach Rino Mardo (on Wed, 12 Sep 2001 07:30:57AM +0800):
> i see it is like using "proto POP3" replacing POP3 with the keyword
> ETRN.  ok.

well, try to understand what ETRN does. POP3 means you log into a POP3
server, give it the clear-text password, and then RETR your mail
(that's the command), one after the other.

ETRN means that your MX is configured to transport all mail directly
to your system, and if that is down, then to keep it in a queue (up to
5 days or so, depending on MTA). once your server is online again,
ETRN tells the MX to spool the queue and send everything now - you
don't have to wait for the next retry of the SMTP server, at which
point you may well be down again.

> > do you know your way well with the ideas underlying POP3, IMAP, and
> > SMTP, and do you know the differences between MTA, MDA, and MUA?
> >
> mta, mda, mua yes. but the ideas underlying pop3, imap, and smtp i'm
> still trying to get a grasp of.  that's why i asked in a separate thread
> how to get the rfc's of each via email since i only i have email access.

RFC here and there, these are almost overkill if you ask me. a rather
simple way to find out is to sniff the wire with ethereal and see
what's going on in a POP3 or SMTP conversation. it's pretty simple
actually. forget about IMAP for now...

here are some typical examples:

sending an email from fishbowl, my laptop, to embryo, my gateway.
i am speaking ESMTP here... that's extended SMTP

  220 embryo.home.madduck.net ESMTP "welcome to the machine..."
  EHLO fishbowl.home.madduck.net
  250-embryo.home.madduck.net
  250-PIPELINING
  250-SIZE 10240000