Re: X4.0 -> X4.1 -> bother

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 12:08:39AM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> Hurrah - woody upgraded to X4.1 and now it's broken :(
very easy way to fix this problem.

Goto a console, and as root, check to see if you have an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
and an /etc/X11/XF86Config.

In my case, I had my original config files under XF86Config but the upgrade
created XF86Config-4 with default info in there. The -4 file gets priority
as the config file when starting X.

I deleted the XF86Config-4 file and ran startx, everything was cool.

Now, if you originally had a XF86Config-4 file, that might have been overwritten
with the new info for X. In that case, re-run the xf86config script as root
and re-configure X.

I'm certain there's got to be a different/better way of doing this however,..
this was just the method which I took :P

Good luck...

--
Adam McDaniel
Infrastructure Technology Consultant