X4.0 -> X4.1 -> bother

Hurrah - woody upgraded to X4.1 and now it's broken :(

but in and odd way:

When I run startx it appears to run as normal except the screen is
completely scrambled and unreadable.  Then if I either kill the X server
(ctl+alt+bksp) or switch virtual consoles, the screen remains in the
same scambled state.

Everything still goes - but I just can't see what I'm typing - as far as
I can gather the only X related question I was asked during the upgrade
was a keyboard type - and this doesn't seem to be the problem.

any thoughts?

But, with very few exceptions, it is the composers of
the tunes, not the writers of the words, which have
made our English hymns famous.  The average Englishman
will happily sing any words to a good tune.

                                        Reginald Frary
                               "Don't upset the choir"

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/