Re: X4.0 -> X4.1 -> bother

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Adam McDaniel wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 12:08:39AM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> > Hurrah - woody upgraded to X4.1 and now it's broken :(
> very easy way to fix this problem.

wrong unfortunately :(

> Goto a console, and as root, check to see if you have an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> and an /etc/X11/XF86Config.
>
> In my case, I had my original config files under XF86Config but the upgrade
> created XF86Config-4 with default info in there. The -4 file gets priority
> as the config file when starting X.
>
> I deleted the XF86Config-4 file and ran startx, everything was cool.
>
> Now, if you originally had a XF86Config-4 file, that might have been overwritten
> with the new info for X. In that case, re-run the xf86config script as root
> and re-configure X.

I have an XF86Config-4 and an XF86Config file - one is for (X3.3.6).

The -X4 one was as it should be.

X3.3.6 runs fine (all I do is simlink the X3 server to /etc/X11/X and it
runs without a hitch (minus all the nice things in X4 of course)

X4 still scrambles the screen - and the only way I can restore it is to
reboot. <-- yes really

I haven't yet checked whether or not X is killed properly with
ctl+alt+bksp, so I might get out my old atari and use it as a dumb
terminal to try and figure what's going on.

but to all intents and purposes it seems like the X server is killed
properly - and the screen is still scambled :(

For what it's worth I have a 4MB Diamond Stealth II S220 card using the
rendition driver under X4.

sigh

But, with very few exceptions, it is the composers of
the tunes, not the writers of the words, which have
made our English hymns famous.  The average Englishman
will happily sing any words to a good tune.

                                        Reginald Frary
                               "Don't upset the choir"

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/