Getting xfree86 4.02 onto an isolated laptop

I have received a hand-me-down laptop - a Thinkpad 365XD with TFT display.
I've got potato on it, but 3.3.6 doesn't work for my display (unless you
count VGA16 yuck!).  However, I just found a web site that says that 4.02
works well on the exact model I have.

Here's my problem.  I've only ever used the debian CDs and stable before.
I've read how to get unstable stuff, but that only works well if you have a
reasonable pipe to the net.  This thing has a slow modem 28.8 and I don't
have it working under Linux yet anyway.

What's going to be the easiest way to get xfree 4.02 onto this laptop?  Be
as explicit as you are able, please.  I'm still learning.

dar