Re: Getting xfree86 4.02 onto an isolated laptop

On 12 Sep 2001, David A. Rogers wrote:

> I have received a hand-me-down laptop - a Thinkpad 365XD with TFT display.
> I've got potato on it, but 3.3.6 doesn't work for my display (unless you
> count VGA16 yuck!).  However, I just found a web site that says that 4.02
> works well on the exact model I have.
>
> Here's my problem.  I've only ever used the debian CDs and stable before.
> I've read how to get unstable stuff, but that only works well if you have a
> reasonable pipe to the net.  This thing has a slow modem 28.8 and I don't
> have it working under Linux yet anyway.
>
> What's going to be the easiest way to get xfree 4.02 onto this laptop?  Be
> as explicit as you are able, please.  I'm still learning.

Do you have access somewhere else to a cd burner? I believe there is a cd
image floating around of extra debs for potato, and I think this includes
recent versions of xfree. See recent posts on debianplanet.org.

But really, if I were you I'd give high priority to getting your modem
working. I think it would be perfectly possible to download xfree even
over a 28.8. Apt and other debian tools are quite intelligent in that they
know if you have done part of a download and can pick up where they left
off if interrupted. So you could do this in several stages. A more
important question is, how expensive is your dialup access? Here in the US
it is relatively cheap, but in Germany I think it will be more expensive.
so maybe a CD image would be better because of that.

Contact me if you think I can be of further help.

                          Sincerely, faheem Mitha.