Automatic terminals in gnome

I am using gnome-core 1.0.55 under kernel 2.4.9 and logging in using xdm.
When I log in and get enlightenment started, all I see is a blank screen,
with the background texture I had chosen on a prior session.

I would like to have two terminals start automatically.  Based on the
gnome-guide, it looks like this could be done from the session manager
item in the control center.  However, when I select gnome/settings/control
manager, the session manager option is missing.

Any ideas?

Bruce Stough