Re: "Webwasher" alternatives (was Re: Web banner blocker)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:48:32 EDT, Jason Boxman writes:
<...>
>> As far as tracking your surfing, I'm chatting with a guy who's pointed
>> me to a site that gets direct logs from ISPs, on claim was they had
>> about 35% of the market in their service area.  Ties full demographics
>> (they've got your ISP) with traffic patterns.  Lesson:  you can't trust
>> anyone to see both ends of your connection.

>> The company involved is:   http://www.hitwise.com.au/methodology/

>Is there any way to defeat that?  If they've the ISP's logs, down they own
>you?  Or is it only effective if you combine it with logs from sites where I
>provide valid personal information?

>From their FAQ:

.-.-.
9. What parts of an ISP Network are analysed by Hitwise?
Hitwise currently monitors the proxy servers of ISP networks. Proxy
 servers produce log files that are analysed by Hitwise to calculate
 website visits and page requests made through the ISPs network.
.-.-.

Don´t use your ISPs proxy servers if you´re concerned about privacy in
 that regard. For the even more paranoid, some anon-proxy might be of
 value.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- Q: What do you have when you have a lawyer buried up to his neck in sand?