Re: Latest woody upgrade to causes fonts in X to disappear

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> I did an 'apt-get upgrade' to my testing system yesterday and got > 50
> MB of upgraded packages(!)
>
> This upgrade included version 4.10 of X. I notice now that on a large
> number of applications, such as the Gnome desktop and applications
> which have pop-up or drop-down menus, that the text has been replaced
> by squares (in fact, this makes Gnome essentially unusable; switching
> to kde restored much of the functionality).  I assume this means that a
> particular font got messed up by the upgrade, but I really don't know
> where to look.  Has anyone else seen this (and found a solution)?

I tried Gnome for the first time in a long time last night and had the
same problem, it was using blackbox - which looked OK, just the Gnome
bits were un-usable.  I fired up XFCE, started the gnome-panel (which
came up ok), used the gnome control center to change the gtk theme and
font, logged out, restarted gnome-session... and all is well[1].

I'm using the svga server from X-3.3.6.

- Bruce

[1] ...except that Gnome pauses for 2-3 second before it catches up
with the pointer when using the menus, and another 2-3 second pause
before it opens up a submenu... I think I'll stick with KDE, it may be
a little slower starting up apps, but at least it responds immediately
when the pointer is moved.