Re: Kernel 2.4.x woes

Am 08. Sep, 2001 schwäzte Rajesh Fowkar so:

> What is this initrd ? Why it is required when kernel boots without it ?

It's required for the kernel-image-2.4.x packages because they're being
built with initrds. Actually, it's because the module for the filesystems
are in the initrds and not built in to the kernel, e.g. ext2 is no longer
staticly compiled into the kernel, it's in the initrd.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-)