Re: Kernel 2.4.x woes

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 02:09:10AM -0700, der.hans wrote:
| Am 08. Sep, 2001 schw?zte Rajesh Fowkar so:
|
| > What is this initrd ? Why it is required when kernel boots without it ?
|
| It's required for the kernel-image-2.4.x packages because they're being
| built with initrds. Actually, it's because the module for the filesystems
| are in the initrds and not built in to the kernel, e.g. ext2 is no longer
| staticly compiled into the kernel, it's in the initrd.

That sounds like it would be really useful for supporting root
filesystems such as reiser or xfs.  Does the boot loader load the
initrd from disk, or does the kernel do that?  Either way, I imagine
that whatever loads the initrd needs to be able to read the fs that
the initrd is on.

Do you know of a F{ine}M to R to learn more about initrds and how they
work?

-D