Re: thread hijacking [was: shell script for bash]

* Mike Pfleger (pfleger@pfleger-precision.com) [010905 19:55]:
> * Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > Give it a later number in /etc/rc?.d (probably /etc/rc2.d) than the
> > sendmail init script. They're started in sequence by /etc/init.d/rc.
>
> Hey Colin.
>
> Yeah, that was my first thought.  It was already S99fetchmail in the
> rc2.d and rc3.d directories.  The problem is that the one or two
> intervening starts does not cover the sometimes sizable delay in
> sendmail starting :\

You could just add a "sleep 10s" to the beginning of
/etc/init.d/fetchmail, and tune the 10 to whatever number is just large
enough so that sendmail will have started but just small enough so that
the delay isn't too obnoxious each time you boot. (Sounds like either
way, it would be less obnoxious than having to su and start it manually,
though).

I suppose you're looking for a 'prettier' way, though. You could do it
with a smaller delay and put it in a loop. This is like "polling for
sendmail". Something like this:

while ! [ `pidof sendmail` ] ; do
  sleep 2s
done

Still not really all that pretty, but it should work.

HTH, HAND

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.