Re: exim woes

* Stephen Gran (gashuffer09@home.com) [010902 12:51]:
> Just a follow up - When I re-read my original message, I
> realized that I was a bit unclear.  What I am hoping to
> discover is why exim finds an apparently bad IP for my
> smarthost when I send messages to some servers.  It looks to
> me like some kind of DNS issue, although I'm not sure, as
> I'm still fairly new to all this - I changed over from
> Windows around Christmas, and I'm teaching myself things as
> I go.  If it is a bad DNS lookup, how could I prevent it, and
> does anyone know why it's happening?  I have two DNS sites
> provided by my ISP, and I suppose I could comment one out,
> or I could set exim to use the physical IP as the smarthost,
> rather than the domain name (what I mean is use the numbers
> rather than the letters, if you see what I mean), although
> both of these seem to me to be steps that reduce overall
> functionality rather than increase it - if my smarthost for
> whatever reason changes it's physical address but keeps the
> domain name the same, I lose mail.  If I comment out a DNS
> site, and the other one is out of sync, I have a hard time
> finding sites.  Anyone have any suggestions?

This looks to me like the problem's not on your end. It sounds like your
ISP has configured your smarthost name (I'm guessing "mail"?) to be
multiplexed among a few different hosts. This technique is used often in
load-balancing. The result for you is that each time you look up the
name, you can get one of many different addresses. This is perfectly
normal; perfectly healthy. Furthermore, it sounds like one of your ISP's
mail hosts is improperly configured, if it's just dropping mails. If you
can verify this with a test (try sending messages explicitly through it
-- maybe try telnetting there on port 25 and speaking some SMTP) you
should let them know so that they can fix it.

Until then (or even after that and they haven't fixed it for a while) a
workaround is to specify the IP address of a known good relay host in
your exim.conf.

Good luck,
--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.