Re: Kernel 2.4.x woes

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 09:45:37PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
| Hi,
|
| After noticing (thanks!) that kernel 2.4.x uses an initrd image I
| managed to make it boot my Sid systems.
|
| 1. Why does it wait for 5 seconds? ("wait 5 seconds or press enter for a
| shell")?

No idea, but I'd like it if my boot time was 5 seconds faster :-).

| 2. I got an error about an incorrect cramfs magic number, is this
| critial?

I don't know, but it is possible.  Can you try rebuilding the initrd?
(I have no idea how, so don't ask me).

| 3. How do I get devfsd to work?  I installed it but when I tried
| mounting my zip drive I was told the device was /dev/scsi/... which
| didn't exist.  I moved /dev to /olddev and created /dev/.devfsd and
| started devfsd but it still didn't work.  Is there a document on
| installing devfsd on sid?

devfsd works for me out-of-the-box.  All I did was 'apt-get install
devfsd'.  Now, what sort of zip drive do you have?  Is it a SCSI
drive?  What is the identification of it, if it is?  Do you have the
driver loaded?  /proc can tell you alot.  I found that my cdrom didn't
work anymore when I started using kernel 2.4 and devfs.  It turned out
that /proc/ide/.../driver reported "(none)".  The driver was moved to
the 'ide-cdrom' module rather than built in.  (I just didn't notice
that it didn't work until I enabled devfs)

HTH,
-D