Kernel 2.4.x woes

Hi,

After noticing (thanks!) that kernel 2.4.x uses an initrd image I
managed to make it boot my Sid systems.

1. Why does it wait for 5 seconds? ("wait 5 seconds or press enter for a
shell")?

2. I got an error about an incorrect cramfs magic number, is this
critial?

3. How do I get devfsd to work?  I installed it but when I tried
mounting my zip drive I was told the device was /dev/scsi/... which
didn't exist.  I moved /dev to /olddev and created /dev/.devfsd and
started devfsd but it still didn't work.  Is there a document on
installing devfsd on sid?

Thanks for any help,
Ross Burton