RE: Old BIOS does not support bootable cdroms

Ken Mead wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was given on old P166 and want to put Debian on it however the old BIOS
> does not support bootable cd's. Can someone please point/help me make a
> floppy disk that will allow me to boot my debian cd so I can get this box
> running. I would go and get the floppy images but I only
> have one floppy left.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken Mead

Ken,

I had several old Pentium boards with the same problem.  All used the
AWARD BIOS, and in all cases I managed to find a BIOS upgrade that
provided the "Boot from CDROM" capability.  It seems that all of the MB
manufacturers included a LOT of goodies in their Y2K "upgrades" that
they all had to make, and booting from the CDROM was quite common.

I would suggest you look into this because you can possibly gain some
other BIOS "goodies"...like larger HD support, etc.  I would look first
at the Mother Board manufacturer's site for these upgrades.  If you
don't know who made the board, you CAN figure it out from the BIOS
serial number if you have an AWARD or AMI BIOS!!  The info on how to do
this is located at  http://www.wimsbios.com/ in the FAQ section,
question #5.

This could save you some future headaches too...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-