Re: exim: how to modify the "Sender:" header

on Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 02:53:30PM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim (rms46@vlsm.org) wrote:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 10:58:00AM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > My debian system is inside an intranet, and therefore I use a
> > > smart host for forwarding emails. There is a problem on how to set
> > > the "Sender:" header of an email.  It seems that the smarthost
> > > adds "Sender:user@smarthost.FQDN" since (apparently) neither exim
> > > nor netscape (mail reader) put an appropriate FQDN.
> > >
> > > I try to fix this problem by forcing the "exim.conf":

> > > smarthost:
> > >   driver = domainlist
> > >   transport = remote_smtp
> > >   route_list = "* SMART_HOST.FQDN bydns_a"
> > >   headers_remove = "Sender"
> > >   headers_add = "Sender: <USER@OTHER.FQDN>"
> > > end
> > >
> > > where SMART_HOST.FQDN is the smarthost and USER@OTHER.FQDN
> > > is my email address. Unfortunately, this way will make ALL
> > > emails (from any local users) to have:
> > >           "Sender: <USER@OTHER.FQDN>"
> > >
> > > Is there a better way to configure the exim.conf?

> > Use /etc/email-addresses to fake source of e-mail.
> > It's easy and finely configurable!
> >
> > Cheers :-)
> >

> Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, /etc/email-addresses
> modifies the RFC-2822's "From: " header, and NOT the
> "Sender: " one :-(.
>
> I guess, that this is a Netscape mailer problem, since
> there is no problem with mutt. Apparently, Netscape
> put a non FQDN "Sender: ", and the smarthost adds
> its FQDN to that header.

It's a Netscape mail problem.  Get a real mail client.  It's possible
you could get around this by running some sort of filter on your
outbound mail but I've not looked into that.

I used to have a similar problem when I used Netscape for mail some
years back.  My local username is "karsten", and my FQDN is
.ix.netcom.com.  Netscape was putting these together to get
"karsten@ix.netcom.com".  Only problem:  I'm "kmself@ix.netcom.com", in
part because "karsten@" was taken when I signed on....   I finally
tracked down the other Karsten and found he'd picked up more than a few
bits of mail for me.

There's enough brokenness about Netscape that you're far better off
going with different SW.  I recommend Galeon for web browsing if you've
got a remotely recent system (PIII-300+), and mutt for mail, though
there are other clients out there.

Cheers.