Re: Help! with exim -- freezing mail

on Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:18:48PM -0700, Cam Ellison (camellison@dccnet.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > Having cleared the spool, what's the problem?
> >
> > You'd initially written saying you had frozen messages in your queue.
> > You've deleted your queue, there can be no frozen messages, so what's
> > going wrong now?
> >
> I have it running now, using fetchmail, and exim as a daemon (i.e. exim
> -bd -qf30) -- forcing it to flush
>
> The issue is that, although I get my messages, exim is sending them to
> root as undeliverable.  I'm the postmaster, so that works out, but
> then all the mail goes to my Inbox, instead of to the various files
> (debian, personal, etc.)  There's a fair pile of mail, so sorting gets
> old really quickly.

It's not clear what you're describing.

If you want to sort personal mail being delivered to you, look into
procmail, or a supposedly easier to use Perl solution (mailfilter?) that
someone whipped up last year.

If you're having problems with bounced mail, look at the bounces for the
reasons why or read your exim logs.

> > If it's general exim problems, try running the daemon in debug mode:
> >
> >     $ exim -d<0-11>
> >
> Did this.  gave me lots of info, but not what I need.
>
> What I need to know, I think, is how to change what exim thinks is my
> user id number.  Can I do that by uninstalling (& purging?) and
> reinstalling?  Surely if it starts anew with an established set of
> user ids, it ahould ppick up on those.

I don't believe UID has anything to do with delivering mail on your
system, certainly once you've purged your old message cache as it
appears you've done.

> > Otherwise, specify your problems and/or log output (you've checked
> > logfiles, right?).
> >
> Yes -- not much help, except to confirm that the mail is being sent to
> root.

I suspect there's output somewhere that's indicating a possible nature
or cause of your problem.  You're strongly encouraged to post it to
list, otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.