Re: Help! with exim -- freezing mail

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> on Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 08:00:23PM -0700, Cam Ellison (camellison@dccnet.com) wrote:
> > How do I either: (1) change exim's idea of my system id number or set it up so it will detect it properly when I install?
>
> Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 72 characters.

Sorry -- I had it set to 70, but I guess in the process of removing and
reinstalling the setting got wiped.

> > For reasons I won't go into, I screwed up my system and had to
> > reinstall, but I kept the /home directory intact.  Naturally, I
> > created a new account for myself (different name) temporarily as part
> > of the setup, and then had to add my real personal account, etc.
>
> Haven't tried that myself.  Do the UIDs match between old and new
> ssytems?

Yes (as far as I can remember), but in re-creating the accounts without
first removing the dummy account, I created a different set.  To
potentially correct it, I used deluser, and started over.

> > I removed exim and related apps through apt-get, then re-installed,
> > but this has had no effect.
>
> Removing the package won't flush your spool.
>
> I suppose you read the exim manpage?
>
>     $ exim -qff
>
> ...should unfreeze messages, if possible.

Yes, I read the manpage, and have been using exim -qff

> I suspect a configuration conflict is preventing delivery.
>
>    $ exim -Mvl <message id>
>
> ...should print the message log to stdout for diagnostic purposes.

That will not work now -- there's nothing in the spool.  Exim now tries
to process messages, but there are no message to process.  (I'm
cheating, and using Netscape temporarily)

Having cleared the spool, what should I do next?

Thanks for all this

Cam

--
Cam Ellison