ipmasq - recompile kernel?

I've done an apt-get install ipmasq and it seems to have installed
correctly.  However, when I type the command 'ipmasq' I get the error
message 'IP Masquerade has not been enabled in the kernel'.  I installed
Potato using the 3 ide-pci flavour install disks.  Does this mean I have to
recompile the kernel with ipmasq included?

I've searched debian.org for a how-to on recompiling the kernel but not
found anything yet.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Should I try
debian-firewall?  Any help appreciated.

Andy