Debian Parititioning Trouble

I'm trying to set up a machine I just built to run Debian. It installs fine,
but LILO says it cannot install itself on the hard disk due to an error, (I
forgot what it says precisely, but it says this is a common problem with
disks over 500mb.) It suggests making a /boot partition at the start of the
disk, but I do not understand how to do that. I tried installing it in the
root partition's boot sector and writing an MBR, but the system can't find
the OS when I boot with it that way.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks,
Deven G.