Re: mounting CDs? and emacs under SU?

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 09:24:58PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Thus spake Peter Christensen:
> > I'm still learning about the basics of Linux, so please excuse a very
> > basic question:  If I want to access a CD do I need to add a line to
> > /etc/fstab:
> >
> >   /dev/cdrom /cd iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide
> >
> > and then under superuser type:
> >
> >   mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom
> >
> > This is how I did it (I think!) before my hard drive crashed and I had
> > to replace it.  Now that I've reloaded Linux I can't edit /etc/fstab
> > with emacs.  Emacs works OK with a normal signon, but under SU I get the
> > following messages:
> >
> >   Xlib:  connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> >   Xlib:  Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> >   emacs:  Cannot connect to X server :0.0
> >   check the display environment variable or use "-d"
> >   Also use the 'xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
> > connections from your machine
> >
> > So...  two questions:  Do I always need to type the full mount command,
> > or is there a shortcut for this?  And how can I get emacs to work under
> > Superuser?
>
> It looks like your /etc/fstab is OK - you should be able to mount as a
> normal user - try mount /cd.  That's what the 'user' in the 4th column
> means.  As for the emacs problem, I'm out of my depth, at least without
> some more information (and probably then as well) - but - are you doing
> this in an X session?  Are you running emacs or xemacs?  This might help
> to sort things out with someone who knows more about this.  I'm pretty new
> myself.
> Good luck,
> Steve
when you open up normal emacs with DISPLAY variable set, it tries to
create it's own window (and I repeat emacs, not Xmeacs).  So you just
have to figure out how to allow root from su session to conncet to
xserver. look at xhost as advised.

<lame joke>
and after you are sufficiently frustarated with Eight Megs And
Continuously Swapping , you cay try vim :-) (no flames plz, it's just
a joke, OK?)
</lame joke>