Re: Gnome Freeze

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 05:02:34PM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:

| > When GNOME locks up, can you press Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] to get to a virtual
| > console?
|
| Yes - no problem. I ran top as per you instructions and the process
| consuming the highest CPU value was "top" itself with a value of 0.3%.
| There were no entries listed under top fox XFree86, or any Gnome app. In
| fact Top was the only app with a value above zero in the cpu column.
|
| I guess that is not the answer you were expecting?

No, but it seems someone else has correctly guessed the problem.
Anyways, that is good information for the future :-).

To change Gnome's config without running gnome, try running 'gnomecc'
(Gnome Control Panel) from an xterm with a different window manager.
Then you can disable Gnome's sound and it may work then.

In addition you can edit /etc/modules and comment out (put a '#' in
front of) the line that mentions your sound module.  You may also want
to edit the file in /etc/modutils and comment out the lines that refer
to sound.  The command "grep sound /etc/modutils" will list all the
files that mention sound and the contents of that line.  Then run
'update-modules' after editing those files.  Those changes will be
noticeable the next time you boot up.  To see the currently loaded
modules use 'lsmod', use 'rmmod' to unload one, and use 'modprobe' to
load one.

-D