Gnome Freeze

This is something I have not seen mentioned before, and fro which I have
run out of (limited) ideas.

I have four machines of varying ages and specs (all intel/amd) and I am
moving them all away from windows on on to Debian. They are getting
there and the problems that do exist are ones that I will solve as I
move further along the learning curve. There is one I have just hit that
I cannot think how to approach.

I built a PC around an AMD 1.2G on a Gigabyte board. There are no exotic
components but it is the fastest of the processors I have available to
me. I have loaded stable on to it and it works just fine. I have
configured X and it works just fine. I can run at a zippity-whizz pace
ice, wmaker and all the other regular window managers, However...

	...when I load the Gnome desktop into play the machine will freeze at
the first gnome action I try (selecting an icon of the desktop or
similar). Locks up tight. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace to get out. If I
try to log back in a xdm it won't progress beyond accepting the
password. To get into X again once Gnome has aborted I have to reboot!

I am currently writing this message in Netscape under Ice with the
machine, so I fear Gnome as the culprit as everything else is fine. Why
is this happening. I would like a solution that is not "Go to Woody". I
am new and working with stable and learning is enough without
intentionally adding another joker to the pack.

Anyone?

Keith

  Keith O'Connell                  |     "That which does not kill
  Maidstone, Kent (UK)             |      us, usually still hurts.
  keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk  |   That's just life, I'm afraid"