Re: VMware problem -- need help!!!

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:02:08PM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> I still can't make VMware 2.0.4 work in debian potato with the 2.4.8-ac6 kernel. What should i do? i tried re-running the install script but it would just output that the setup program cannot build the vmware module. i checked the website and followed the instructions to recompile the kernel with pc-style hardware configured as a module. what else should i do?
>
> paolo falcone
>
> pc specs:
> AMD Duron 700MHz
> Debian "Potato" with 2.4.8-ac6 kernel

Sounds exactly like the problem I ran into where when during
the install it tried to compile the vmmon module and puked.
I found a fix by using the 'vmmon-for-2.4.7-only.tar.gz' to replace
the module source which was causing the problem.  After that it compiled
without major problems.

ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/vmware/vmmon-for-2.4.7-only.tar.gz

Also, I am using kernel 2.4.9 and the fact that the file indicates
"for 2.4.7 only" did not prevent it from working with 2.4.9.

--
Jeremiah Mahler
<jmahler@pacbell.net>