Re: RedHat vs Debian?

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:50:38AM -0400 or thereabouts, dman wrote:

You might try going to http://www.securityportal.com and see what they
have to say about the different distributions and when they have
bugfixes.  If you look at the weekly summary, you will find that debian
is almost always one of the first to release security updates.

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:33:21AM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Debian stable is quite old. <snip>
> <snip> I don't remember which version of GNOME
> they ship with, but potato has only 1.0.55.  There are a lot of other
> things that have been updated since the release of stable.  However,
> stable is really stable and a good platform.  When the next stable is

Remember that even though stable is quite old, you can always use the
deb-src for sid (or woody) and run 'apt-get source --build' for those
newer packages you must have.  Of course if you need gnome, there is
ximian...

Jamie Strandboge

--
"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."  -- Author unknown

Email:                  jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP Public Key ID:  26384A3A
GPG/PGP Fingerprint:    D9FF DF4A 2D46 A353 A289  E8F5 AA75 DCBE 2638 4A3A