Re: Linksys EtherFast 10/100 v5 has no IRQ

on Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:12:55AM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 07:31:39AM -0400, JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:
> | Yes, Compaq is quite skilled in the "stupid" department.
>
> I found that out with my Compaq.  I tried to add another hard drive,
> but the BIOS could only see it in "Cable Select" mode.  Thus it
> couldn't be on the same IDE bus as anything else (except the zip
> drive).  The machine also only had a 110W power supply and after a
> while couldn't handle that hard drive.  The case is too small to be
> useful too.  =p.  I have a custom built box now (built by me :-))

My experience with any number of branded vendors is that their consumer
hardware often has similar flaws, particularly the low-end stuff.  You
get what you pay for, and it often isn't much.  My Gateway box was
pretty non-extendable, I've seen some really depressing HP stuff
(Vectra, IIRC), ditto Q.  DYI is definitely recommended.