Re: Basic kernel 2.4.9 panic???

Vittorio(vdemart@supereva.it) is reported to have said:
> Hi all
>
> After having used and recompiled the 2.2.1x kernels in debian for a
> couple of years with no problem at all, I'm now having a go at
> compiling kernel 2.4.9.
>
> By means of dselect I've installed the bunk stuff including the stock
> kernel image 2.4.9-686 and the source and headers.
>
> Needlless to say the stock kernel image works great!
>
> Now, I've been trying to recompile the kernel starting step by step to
> no avail.
--<snip>--

> modprobe:Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.dep
>
> Then it stops with a panic because :VFS cannot mount "302"
> filesystem...... try with root= ....
>
> Of course , I've checked and the file modules.dep exists and is full
> of stuff! Besides using root=/dev/hda2 (where debian is) as a
> parameter at boot time the same problem with modules.dep appears and
> another panic occurs saying:VFS cannot mount "hda2" and "302"
> filesystem...... try with root= ....

I had a simular problem when I enabled the Ramdisk and cramfs when I
went to 2.4.9.  I thought I would see what all the initrd stuff was
about.  So I de-selected all the initrd items and compiled without it.
BTW I compile the old way, not with make kpkg, and I get the kernels
from kernel.org.  Anyway I didn't get those errors anymore.

ISTR reading somewhere that there is a problem with cramfs.  I may be
wrong on that tho.

HTH=Hope This Helps, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary, HAND=Have A Nice Day