Basic kernel 2.4.9 panic???

Hi all

After having used and recompiled the 2.2.1x kernels in debian for a
couple of years with no problem at all, I'm now having a go at
compiling kernel 2.4.9.

By means of dselect I've installed the bunk stuff including the stock
kernel image 2.4.9-686 and the source and headers.

Needlless to say the stock kernel image works great!

Now, I've been trying to recompile the kernel starting step by step to
no avail.

Here it is the procedure I followed (sorry for my being so pernickety!):

1) Under ****potato 2.2r3***** and *****2.2.19 kernel***** :

-make menuconfig

-and I've loaded the config file coming with the stock image:
/boot/config-2.4.9-686 with no variation at all (I just want to obtain
the stock kernel!!! (very basic indeed))

2) make-kpkg clean; make-kpkg --revision=test.01 kernel_image

3) under /usr/src:

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.9-test.01-i386.deb

4) I've modified lilo accordingly

# stock kernel (I've renamed the original generic vmlinuz link out of
clarity)

image=/vmlinuz-2.4.9
	label=Lin2.4
	initrd=/boot/initrd     #linked to /boot/initrd-2.4.9-686
	read-only

# brand-new kernel (I've renamed the generic vmlinuz link out of
clarity as 'test')

image=/test
	label=test
	initrd=/boot/initrd     #linked to /boot/initrd-2.4.9-686
	read-only

5) lilo

At boot, after mounting the ramdisk and the cramfs filesystem linux
starts saying for some 10 times:

modprobe:Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.dep

Then it stops with a panic because :VFS cannot mount "302"
filesystem...... try with root= ....

Of course , I've checked and the file modules.dep exists and is full
of stuff! Besides using root=/dev/hda2 (where debian is) as a
parameter at boot time the same problem with modules.dep appears and
another panic occurs saying:VFS cannot mount "hda2" and "302"
filesystem...... try with root= ....

PLEASE HELP!

Ciao
Vittorio