Games Graphics problems

I think these are related...

This happens in window maker, olwm, and when using no window manager at all, ala "startx lxdoom":

lxdoom window opens, the game plays, but it is displayed entirely in grey, like the red colour gun
isn't working. The rest of the X desktop is uneffected.

quake-x11 window opens, the demo starts, but the only display is a couple rows of multi-coloured but
mostly grey (like in lxdoom) flickering dots. The rest of the x display is uneffected.

XShipWars starts, the opening graphic is displayed, but in grey colours and vertical bars. The
program then segmentation faults.

lsdoom and quake-svga run just fine.

I had Xshipwars running on a Debian install from last year, it worked fine until last month. I did a
dselect, and installed any/all updated packages, but I don't usually run games on it. When I tried
Xshipwars there last week, it failed too. Same simptom.

Any ideas?

The Road goes ever on and one, down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone and I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.