Re: Sid Newbie - some questions

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 09:21:02PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> Today I installed Sid (via Potato) and became a Debian user, after many
> years as a RedHat/Mandrake user.  Because of this I have a number of
> questions:
>
> 1. How can I see what distribution a package came from?  Basically, I
> want to check that all of the packages on my system are from Sid, not
> Potato.

Some packages haven't been updated since potato. However, if you ensure
that dselect doesn't want to upgrade anything more, then you're fine; if
you really want to be sure, you could download the Packages file for sid
from your mirror and compare it against the versions in 'dpkg -l' (or
/var/lib/dpkg/status).

> 6. What mailing list should questions like this go to?  Is debian-user
> for the stable release only, or all releases including Sid?

This is the right list for questions. For testing (woody) and unstable
(sid), however, it's worth your while to monitor at least
debian-devel-announce - possibly debian-devel too - for announcements
and discussion of Debian development. You might get advance notice of
breakages that way.

Cheers,