Fw: Re: Sid Newbie - some questions

On Monday Aug 27, 22:21 Ross Burton wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Today I installed Sid (via Potato) and became a Debian user, after many
>years as a RedHat/Mandrake user.  Because of this I have a number of
>questions:
>
>1. How can I see what distribution a package came from?  Basically, I
>want to check that all of the packages on my system are from Sid, not
>Potato.

I suggest you to use dselect. You can read some obout this tool
in #man dselect. If you put only the following line into your
/etc/apt/sources.list, you will have only access to the packages
of Sid:

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

>2. How do I verify the dependancies, i.e. check that no packages should
>be installed.  When I was upgrading to Sid I got a number of errors
>which I believe I have solved, but would like to check this!

Use #dselect! It's a great tool! And can also manage the dependancies.

>3. I guess to access my Reiserfs home drive I've got to recompile the
>kernel?

>4. Okay - trouble-shooting time.  When I start X if works fine for about
>2 minutes, then the mouse jerks for a few seconds before locking up.
>Any idea why this is?
>
>5. As XFree86 initializes I get these errors on the console:
>
>Symbol __glXMalloc from module
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
>Symbol __glXFree from module
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
>Symbol __glXLastContext from module
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
>
>Any ideas how I can resolve this?

My idea: Because you had much errors while updating from Potato to
Sid, there are now some packages unconfigured. To update from
Potato to Sid, you should also use dselect. And apt-get is also
the right tool for this. Dselect is a ncurses based frontend for
apt-get. You could reinstall your Debian. Or wait, what other
users reccomend to you.

>6. What mailing list should questions like this go to?  Is debian-user
>for the stable release only, or all releases including Sid?

This is the right adress for you. Here are users of all Debian
releases.