Re: Galeon problem ...

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:24:11PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> Lo, on Friday, August 24, Steven Yap did write:
>
> > I had that problem as well, but I got it to work.  One difference is that
> > built galeon from a tarball (ver 0.12) and installed it in /usr/local/
> > instead of a deb source package.
>
> Yeah, I've done the same.  I can't actually get to the debian packages.  I
> don't know if it's significant, but I didn't supply any arguments to
> ./configure.

Neither did I. :)

> > I made a link in /etc/gconf/schemas to
> > /usr/local/etc/gconf/schemas/galeon.schemas.
>
> Ok, done.  As you say, it didn't work---same error.
>
> > That should have worked but it didn't.  Then I discovered the entries in
> > ~/.gconf/schemas/apps/galeon/ had owners.group values of group.group
> > instead of yap.yap .  Changed that, and galeon now starts up fine.

Oops! The above was a red herring. Using a different user account which
had never ran galeon before, I started galeon and I got the "starting
galeon for the first time" dialogues.  So the galeon schema directories
I had mentioned above should not play any role on whether galeon starts
or not.

Mind you, I did just recompile galeon to use the 0.9.3 Mozilla package
I had installed today.

> [rcclinux:~]$ /bin/ls -AlF ~/.gconf
> total 4
> drwx--S---    2 cobbe    cobbe        4096 Aug 24 12:17 %gconf-xml-backend.lock/
>
> I'm obviously missing something here.  I tried creating the directory you
> mentioned, but that didn't help either---same error.

Oh...I should have mentioned that ~/.gconf/schemas/apps/galeon contains
a whole heirachy of directories which seems to be mirroring the contents
of /usr/local/etc/gconf/schemas/galeon.schemas, like so:

------------->  begin snippet <--------------------

~ Fri Aug 24
obsolescence[51]> ls -AFl .gconf/schemas/
total 1
-rw-------    1 yap      yap             0 Aug 19 15:33 %gconf.xml
drwx------    3 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 apps/

~ Fri Aug 24
obsolescence[52]> ls -AFl .gconf/schemas/apps/
total 1
-rw-------    1 yap      yap             0 Aug 19 15:33 %gconf.xml
drwx------    9 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 galeon/

~ Fri Aug 24
obsolescence[53]> ls -AFl .gconf/schemas/apps/galeon/
total 8
-rw-------    1 yap      yap           654 Aug 19 15:33 %gconf.xml
drwx------    6 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Advanced/
drwx------    5 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Browsing/
drwx------    5 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Handlers/
drwx------    2 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Print/
drwx------    4 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Rendering/
drwx------    7 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 State/
drwx------    6 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 UI/

~ Fri Aug 24
obsolescence[54]> ls -AFl .gconf/schemas/apps/galeon/Advanced/
total 4
-rw-------    1 yap      yap             0 Aug 19 15:33 %gconf.xml
drwx------    2 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Crash/
drwx------    2 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Filtering/
drwx------    2 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Network/
drwx------    2 yap      yap          1024 Aug 19 15:33 Persistent/

~ Fri Aug 24
obsolescence[55]> ls -AFl .gconf/schemas/apps/galeon/Advanced/Crash/
total 1
-rw-------    1 yap      yap           642 Aug 19 15:33 %gconf.xml

---------------> end snippet <----------------

Looking in the .gconf directory of the other user, I can't find the
schemas directory, although the ~/.gconf/apps/galeon hierachies were
created by galeon when it was ran.

Hmm ... <google> <google> ... try this:

  gconftool --install-schema-file /etc/gconf/schemas/*

as root, which should make the galeon schema available. Found this at
 http://developer.gnome.org/feature/archive/gconf/impl.html

If that fails, well, Karsten's advice to use a pre-gconf galeon may be
the most convenient way to go for now.

> I don't actually use the gnome desktop.  Is that system perhaps creating
> some files that galeon's looking for?

I don't know.  I shouldn't think so.

--
steven yap