XFree86\xf86cfg system crash

okay, so after learning that XF86Setup is not working anymore (why did they
do that? it seemed like a really good prog) i've installed xserver-XFree86,
etc. so that i could run XFree86 (and in effect, xf86cfg which is dependent
on it). So i installed the packages, and just ran XFree86 as root with no
arguments to make sure that it was installed and everything, which it is\was.
 Then I ran XFree86 -configure (one of the suggested XF86Setup replacements i
was referred to), and...... nothing. Screen goes blank and I have to hit
ctrl-alt-delete several times before it reboots okay.  So then, being
somewhat stubborn, I try to run xf86cfg which yields the same results.  Maybe
I should go with the old adage "If you want something done right, do it
yourself" and edit the configuration file manually.  My dilemma is that my
mouse isn't recognized.  When i just run the X sever by itself ( '$ X' ) , it
starts but the mouse doesn't move, and startx complains about an invalid
argument in relation to /dev/mouse.  So i guess i just need to edit the
pointer section of the config file.  I've got the standard Microsoft mouse
with a little roll button dealie, and pretty much a standard debian
configuration, so what should i call the protocol and what's the device file
(and anything else i probably should tack on there)? Init isn't starting gpm
so i think its just a configuration file problem.
But all the same, this xf86cfg thing has gotten kind of personal... i mean, i
just want to be able to get it to work for no other reason than its really
bothering me (well, not that much but still).  So any theories a/b why
xf86cfg and XFree86 -configure are crashing my system?