Re: pilot-xfer stopped working after kernel upgrade to 2.4.9

On 22 Aug 2001 22:33:24 +0200, thomas wrote:
> > I used "make menuconfig" and configured the kernel by hand (having read
> > the configuration from the old 2.2.18 config), was it wrong?
> > Does "oldconfig" makes some magic conversions from old version of
> > configfile?
>
> It only works from 2.Y.x -> 2.Y.x anyway (not 2.2.x -> 2.4.x) afaik (you
> could try it out though). I think the problem might be the old 2.2.18
> kernel to 2.4.9 upgrade. But since you upgraded all important packages
> (like modutils etc.) from the url you mentioned i'm kinda clueless.
> Maybe sth. went wrong. Pls check if lsmod -V gives 2.4.6 or higher. Does
> everything work if you boot the old kernel again? If nothing helps then
> build 2.4.9 again, you probably missed sth. during the config.
>
> !thomas

I thought I read somewhere on this list that the major and minor device
numbers somehow "moved" from 2.2 to 2.4 with regards to serial.  Maybe
some documentation from the kernel and the appropriate changes to device
files and/or modules.conf if serial mods autoload should do the trick.

--mike