Re: Progeny vs. Libranet vs Pure Debian.

    DanSV> I was wondering what the best way to install and then
    DanSV> maintain debian is.  I have tried libranet, but not progeny
    DanSV> or just pure debian (beyond 2.1 that is).  I want a simple
    DanSV> install, and hard-ware recognition on the level of mandrake
    DanSV> (they say they can get 3D support with an ati rage128
    DanSV> (2000), whereas progeny says it does not.  Good printer
    DanSV> support is a must, but I also want to get under the
    DanSV> hood.  (I ruled out mandrake as I had an rpm muckup that
    DanSV> trashed my box and had me starting over with
    DanSV> debian.  Debian packaging is superior (A Mandrake distro
    DanSV> based on debs would be the ultimate in my humble opinion).
    DanSV> Does anyone have any experience with progeny? (eg. getting
    DanSV> it then upgrading to debian unstable, mixing packages, etc)
    DanSV> What is the best way?

G'day DanSV,

All Linux hardware support is dependent on the kernel / software
installed so if you can get support for one video card with one
distribution you can get it for all the other, with maybe a bit of
work.

IMHO Debian Testing is the best choice for a home PC, you get current
versions of all the main programs very good support from other users
in list like this ( It might be a good idea not to continue to post
HTML messages though :) and it very stable.

The best way to get a Debian testing install is to do a plain debian
install then edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and replace all the
"stable"s with "testing"s and do an "apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade" this will take quite some time

I've heard good things about Progeny but haven't used it my self, the
Progeny web-site says

"Progeny Debian, a commercial version of Debian,
is now available for purchase, which includes a printed manual,
support, and 90-days of Progeny Service Network. Progeny Debian is
also available for download. Progeny Debian provides an enhanced
feature set that includes easy graphical installation, hardware
detection support, and improved configuration and management tools."

So if you want hardware support and a graphical install Progeny is
probably for you.

--
Joel