Re: Help - Large Files Support

In article <[🔎] 20010822233905.A15972@logrus>,
Dmitriy  <ace22b@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 04:15:18PM +1000, CaT wrote:

>> > I'm not really an expert on this topic,
>> > but I heard that you need 2.4 kernel, and glibc compiled against 2.4
>> > headers.
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>> After installing the 2.4 kernel do an apt-get -b source glibc in a work
>> directory and then install what's spewed out. :)
>>
>> You'll then need to recompile any utils you want to work with LFS against
>> the new glibc.
>>
>> > So looks like you are SOL :-(
>>
>> Not really. Just in a bit of pain. :)

The above is not true.

>Actually he said w/o compiling anything, so that why I said SOL,
>because he will have to compile kernel and loads of other stuff.
>Are there plans BTW to enable LFS in woody or sarge?

The latest unstable glibc has been compiled with 2.4 headers and
supports LFS just fine. Many utilities have been compiled against
this version of glibc and are LFS aware.

But you *do* need a 2.4 kernel. Fortunately even a 2.4.9 kernel
is available in unstable.

So you don't need to compile anything. Just get the latest
kernel-image-2.4.9 and libc6 from unstable and you're set.

Oh yes one more thing - older applications are not large file
aware. The application that you require the large file for
probably needs to be recompiled, and perhaps you even need to
fix the source code so that it knows that files can be > 32 bits.
There are a lot of programs that assume that the file size
of the files they are working with fits in a 32 bits integer-
that assumption is no longer true, and can break existing
code in many interesting ways if you compile it with the
options for 64 bit file offsets.

Mike.
--
"Answering above the the original message is called top posting. Sometimes
 also called the Jeopardy style. Usenet is Q & A not A & Q." -- Bob Gootee