Re: How to get a list of minimal Potato packages

on Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 07:39:53AM +0100, Chris Kenrick (chriskenrick@yahoo.com.au) wrote:
> >>What's your specific need or goal?  There *are* micro-GNU/Linux
> >>distributions out there fitting various goals.  Tom's Root/Boot and
> >>the new LNX-BBC project are probably two of the best and best known.

> My goal is to rebuild some servers that are running Woody via Potato.
> The servers are at the moment running lots of unnecessary crud
> (installed on top of base), so I needed to derive a list of base
> packages so I can work out what extra needs installing.  Fortunately,
> Karsten's magic command line suggestion should solve it I think.

Note that a better tack might be to identify running services, find out
what other software is installed, try removing it (looking for reducing
size, as this seems to be a concern of yours), and stop if:

  - Something you need is removed via dependencies (cancel the action,
    you'll be safe).

  - Something breaks -- in which case, don't remove that.