Re: Exim behind dhcp/ipmasq

Walter Hofmann writes:

> You said that the hotmail error message was about a closed connection
> after Exim sent "HELO localhost". This could easily be a spam blocker at
> hotmail. SMTP says that the mailer should say "HELO name" or "EHLO name"
> as the first command, where "name" is the name of your machine.

Makes sense to me.

> Maybe you shouldn't (externally) call your machine "localhost".
> Search for "localhost" in the exim config file and change it to
> something reasonable.

It only appears in the settings for `local_domains' and
`host_accept_relay', both of which make sense to me.  I tried setting
`primary_hostname' to something reasonable, and it seems to have
worked.  Thanks for your help.

BTW, the Exim info file says

  The RFCs mandate that a server must not reject a message because it
  doesn't like the HELO or EHLO command.

Apparently Hotmail thinks it's above RFCs.

Thanks,
Mike

\\// | R | T R | L B | //\\ ~ Michael Abraham Shulman
http://kurukshetra.cjb.net/ ~ viritrilbia@users.sf.net
ICQ #329350  ~  AIM Djhuty  ~ jabber://mas@jabber.org

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
        -- Lazarus Long (Robert A. Heinlein)