Re: Exim behind dhcp/ipmasq

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 01:25:48 +0200
Walter Hofmann <walterh@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Michael Abraham Shulman wrote:
>
> > Thank you!  I use exim and Mew (IM).
>
> I should have read your mail more closely. But it helped, at least.
>
> > in ~/.im/Config appears to have fixed the SF problem.  I don't expect
> > this to fix the hotmail problem, though, since that was a different
> > error message.  I'll let you know if it does, but meanwhile, any ideas
> > about that?
>
> This could be the same problem, but that's hard to say. It looked more
> like a problem with a broken connection.
>
> You said that the hotmail error message was about a closed connection
> after Exim sent "HELO localhost". This could easily be a spam blocker at
> hotmail. SMTP says that the mailer should say "HELO name" or "EHLO name"
> as the first command, where "name" is the name of your machine. Maybe
> you shouldn't (externally) call your machine "localhost". Search for
> "localhost" in the exim config file and change it to something
> reasonable.

Yep. I had the same problem with my Postfix sending to a Hotmail adress.
Hotmail appears to do a reverse DNS lookup on incoming connections, and
when the incoming server is not in the DNS, it will refuse the connection.
Obviously a spamblock. It went away for me when I configured Postfix to
state it's sending domain as my fully qualified domainname (I have an
account at dyndns.org).

Mart

--
'Quoth the mailserver: 554!'